Back Index Next
The World Beyond Brockville - 1885
It is important to place the hesitation of the electorate of the townships into proper context.  The CPR was in the midst of traumatic experiences in raising capital in markets that had dried up.  The Grand Trunk had been doing its work in spreading rumours about the shakiness of the CPR on the London financial markets.  CPR's finances (or the lack of) had been the topic of heated debate in Parliament.  Sir John A. Macdonald was in a quandary.  Should he or shouldn't he give extra support to the CPR.
All attention was focused on the Riel Rebellion which was just heating up in Manitoba (later to become Saskatchewan).  War between Britain and Russia was threatening.  Like any financial market, when uncertainty threatens, money goes to ground and no amount of cajoling will free it up.  In 1885, the voters in the townships were reluctant to commit money to the construction of the B&W.  They wanted to see the railway promoters put their money on the table first.
For the railway promoters, 1885 was a disappointing year.  Township after township defeated the by-laws to grant monies to the B&W - not once, but several times.  The promoters, in turn, used every means at their disposal to have the bylaws re-submitted to the voters.  Needless to say, not a sod was turned that year. 


Brockville, Westport & Sault Ste Marie 4-4-0 #4 at Athens circa 1901.  Photo courtesy National Archives, Andrew Merrilees collection, PA-207366.  Locomotive #4 was the fourth locomotive on the BW&SSM.  It was built by Wm. Mason at Taunton, Mass April 1875, builders #718, for the New Brunswick Railway as their "Houlton".  When the CPR took over the New Brunswick Railway, it was renumbered #529. 
In July 1892, it was converted to a fast passenger engine at the CPR McAdam NB shops as an "unauthorized" experiment by George A. Haggerty, master mechanic of CPR's Atlantic Division.   The driving wheels were increased from 60" to 74" by placing a 7" collar around the 60" driving wheels.  This gave it an awkward look.  The boiler was strengthened to carry a higher pressure.  This "unauthorized" experiment cost the CPR $5,000. 
Details of these changes can be found on Page 72 of Omer Lavallee's book "Canadian Pacific Steam Locomotives.  This is what the locomotive looked like after the rebuild.  Photo courtesy National Archives, Andrew Merrilees collection, PA-204208. 

CPR #529 was removed from service in December of 1899.  It was sold to the BW&SSM in January 1901 for $4,375.  At this time, the BW&SSM had been operating in receivership since 1894. 
In 1903, the New York Syndicate purchased the the line, locomotives and rolling stock under judicial sale for $160,000, and incorporated the Brockville, Westport & Northwestern.  Included in the purchase, was locomotive #4.  We don't know if it was renumbered as #64 in line with the BW&NW numbering scheme. 
The Canadian Northern Railway took over the BW&NW in 1910 but the BW&NW still retained its identity until 1913.  Somewhere between 1910 and 1913, #4 disappeared from the BW&NW/CNoR locomotive roster. 
Back Index Next