Back Index Next

The B&W Rock Cut

Immediately on crossing the GTR, the B&W ran into the granite-hard rock of the Frontenac gap - the tail end of the Canadian shield which crosses the St Lawrence River between Brockville and Gananoque.  The B&W had to drill and blast through a ¼ mile of rock to a depth of about 50 feet.  The rubble was used to fill the ¼ mile of grade from the north side of the steel span across the GTR main line.  The rock-filled grade and the rock-cut, although overgrown with trees, can still be found south of Hwy 401.

This photo of the rock-cut, taken about 1920 looking south, gives you an idea of what the B&W was facing.  Around the corner is the rock-fill leading to the trestle across the GTR. Note the telegraph poles on the left (east) side of the top of the rock cut.  Photo courtesy B. Craig, Brockville, Ont.  Up to this point, the B&W has climbed about 75 feet in 2 miles from their Church St station.

This photo, taken about 1920, shows the rock-cut facing north.  The line swings around to the left (west) in the far distance.  The trees at the end of the line have been replaced today by Highway 401.  The photographer has taken his picture at the start of the rock-fill which goes back ¼ mile to the trestle over the GTR.  Photo courtesy B. Craig, Brockville, Ont.