Back Index Next

Stations Along the Brockville & Westport

There were a lot of stops along the Brockville & Westport.  Some were substantial, such as Athens, Delta, and Westport, complete with station agent and water tank.  Others, such as Glen Buell, Glen Elbe, Soperton and Fairs, were only whistle stops.  In between, there were stations that warranted their own station agent and perhaps a small siding or passing track. 
While these places might seem inconsequential and small today (some have even disappeared), in the 1890's, these villages were thriving centres of agriculture and commerce with the potential of delivering lots of freight and passengers to the railway.  And who knew what mineral riches lay beyond Westport?  Or, if the B&W could only tap into the western flood of grain pouring into Ontario from the prairies?

Stations Along the Brockville & Westport
Mileage  - Stations
0.0 . . Brockville (Church St)
4.3 Lyn Junction
5.3
.
Lyn
8.2 F Seeley's
13.2  . Forthton (Unionville)
14.8 F Glen Elbe
16.6  F *Fairs
17.9 W Athens (Farmersville) 
24.3 F Soperton
26.7  . Lyndhurst
28.4 W Delta
33.4  . Phillipsville (Elgin)
35.4  . Forfar (Junction with CNoR)
37.0  . Crosby
40.2  . Newboro
44.8  W Westport
 . F Flag Stop
.
W
Water Tank
The stations along the B&W followed 3 distinct designs (except for the Church St station in Brockville)  Over the years, some stations burnt down and were replaced by lesser quality structures.  Lyndhurst was the only station that was substantially upgraded. 


The larger villages such as Athens, Delta, and Westport, had larger stations with a station agent, water tank and windmill which powered the pump to fill the water tank.  These stations were built in January of 1888.  The bay window was a prominent design in this type of station.  What is not so obvious are the "bevelled" corners with a window in the bevel.  To the right of the photo above the boxcar on the siding can be seen the water tank and windmill that pumped the water into the tank.  Taken around 1907, the Westport station is the only one of this type to survive.  Except for 3 pads of concrete, nothing remains of the water tower or the wind mill.  Photo courtesy Margaret (Sully) Stinson.



This view of the Athens station, taken around 1904, shows a different perspective of the bay window and bevelled corners for this type of station.  What looks like a train-order signal and telegraph pole above the bay window is the windmill used to fill the water tank.  It's actually at the other end of the station.  It looks as if the spout from the water tank is being lowered to fill up BW&NW #66 for the next leg of its journey to Soperton, Lyndhurst Station, and Delta. However, #66 will have to back up quite a bit to get filled up.
Railway stations were a gathering point for the community as evidenced by the crowd of people and the horse-drawn jitney waiting to carry passengers and baggage into town.  The Athens station burned down in March 1942 and was replaced a few months later by a lesser structure.  Photo courtesy National Archives of Canada, Andrew Merrilees Collection, PA-141218.