& Prescott (B&P) Railway Company incorporated Acts 13-14 Chapter
132 Statutes of Upper Canada.
|22 January 1851
||Walter Shanley engaged to engineer and build the B&P.
and clearing started by the firm of French, Ferguson & Fraser of Brockville.
|09 October 1851
||Official sod turning ceremony held in Ottawa.
|09 October 1851
||Firm of Howard & Goslin of Prescott begin excavation of the
big cut east of Prescott below Fort Wellington and behind the village of
started at Prescott, Ont.
|19 May 1854
||Arrival of the first locomotive, the "Oxford", built by Hinkley
& Williams of Boston, via the Northern Railroad at Ogdensburg NY.
|21 June 1854
||Track reaches Spencerville.
|09 August 1854
||Track reaches Kemptville.
|24 August 1854
||Arrival of a worktrain headed by locomotive #2, the "St Lawrence",
|29 December 1854
service between Bytown and Prescott starts.
renamed Ottawa & Prescott (O&P) Railway as the city of Bytown was
renamed Ottawa on 01 January 1855.
|10 May 1855
||Line officially opened.
placed into receivership.
||O&P sold at public auction. Sits idle for 2 years.
reorganized as the St Lawrence & Ottawa (StL&O) Railway.
Branch opened from Ellwood over the Rideau River (at what is today Carleton
University) and Rideau Canal (at the south end of Dow's Lake) to LeBreton
leased to CPR for 999 years.
||Lease is finally executed by the CPR.
|21 August 1885
||Last Passenger Trains from Sussex St Station. All trains now
depart from CPR Union Station at Chaudiere
||Prescott becomes the centre for the import of CPR coal supplies
in the Eastern Region from the United States at Ogdensburg. Between
1908 and 1910, CPR rebuilds the Prescott yards to handle this increased
||Passenger service discontinued.
|12 April 1995
||Line abandoned from Prescott to Oxford. Dismantled in the
fall of 1995.