Back Index Next

The IB&O Expands - Slowly
The line from Kinmount Jct to Irondale was opened in 1887 - a distance of 10 miles.  However 6 3/4 of these miles included the original Myles Tramway.  It wasn't until November of 1893 that the next 20 miles was opened to Wilberforce.  The line was opened as far as Baptiste (a further 10 miles) in January 1897.  It took 10 years to construct these 30 miles of railway.  By the fall of 1898, the line reached Mud Creek - 2 1/2 miles further from Baptiste.  
Throughout this period, Pusey personally financed the expansion, either from his own resources, the earnings of the railway, or from monies that he borrowed from financial institutions, suppliers, or friends.  The exact amount of money that Pusey borrowed in total to construct the IB&O is not known.  A prospectus prepared around 1906 indicated that the investment had reached over $700,000 without the issuance of any bonds.  Unfortunately, Pusey died in 1899.  Mud Creek was to remain the eastern terminus of the IB&O for a further 11 years until the Canadian Northern completed the remaining 2 1/2 miles to York River on the Central Ontario Railway.

Route of the IB&O

Back Index Next